Council releases report on recommendations to end sex abuse of Arizonans with disabilities
February 6, 2019 - Update: Governor Doug Ducey issues executive order based on ADDPC report. Read it here.
(Jan. 29, 2019) PHOENIX—The Arizona Developmental Disabilities Planning Council released a report today with recommendations for the Arizona State Legislature and state agencies to prevent sexual abuse of Arizonans with developmental disabilities.
“We hope these ideas will shed light on the gaps people with disabilities experience when it comes to protection,” said Erica McFadden, ADDPC executive director. “If state leaders act on any of these recommendations, it will make us safer than before.”
The report “Sexual Abuse of Arizonans with Developmental and Other Disabilities” includes specific actions state agencies, providers, families and others can take to prevent and reduce sexual abuse of vulnerable adults in Arizona.
The report’s recommendations include:
- Strengthening “duty to report” laws and training requirements
- Removing exemptions from state licensing for facilities serving people with intellectual disabilities
- Raising awareness of sexual abuse among people with disabilities and their families
- Funding sexual violence prevention and trauma-informed care
- Establishing protections for victims with disabilities who testify
- Creating laws requiring Adult Protective Services to investigate every suspected case of abuse, neglect, and exploitation involving vulnerable adults
- Publicly posting all residential inspection reports
There are also steps community members can take. Anyone who would like a starting point for ideas on how to reduce risk for a loved one can check out the ADDPC list of suggested questions families can ask providers here at this link.
The report is available in a variety of formats. Anyone can request a hard copy or other accommodations by calling (602) 542-8973 or by email at [email protected]
Stay updated on this project and follow along during the Arizona Legislative Session by visiting the Council online at https://addpc.az.gov/