HOW TO DETERMINE IF MEDICARE IS AN OPTION FOR DENTAL BENEFITS
- Does the individual receive both Medicare Part A (Hospitalization) and Medicare Part B (Medical insurance) coverage?
- Is the individual eligible for a Medicaid (AHCCCS) health plan? Eligibility can be through a number of AHCCCS programs such as ALTCS, FTW (Freedom to Work), SSI-MAO (Medical Assistance Only).
- If Medicare/Medicaid eligible has the individual chosen a Medicare health plan? Is it a Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plan (SNP)?
- There are extra benefits, such as dental care, that SNP's provide, which Medicare or Medicaid alone does not provide.
- If on a Medicare SNP, depending on the plan chosen, benefits can range from $1,500/year of dental care up to 2 exams (including cleaning, fluoride treatment, & x-rays) plus $2,100 of dental work each year within the plan network.
- If not on a Medicare SNP, enrollment can be done anytime. There is no need to wait for an open enrollment period. Coverage takes effect the 1st of the month following enrollment. If enrolled on the 30th of one month, coverage starts the 1st of the following month. SNP's can also be changed or dropped anytime.
- As with any health plan decisions, the network of providers in the plan needs to be reviewed to insure any desired provider is in the network.
- Prescription coverage (Medicare Part D) is always covered as part of the SNP.
- Some SNP's provide transportation to medical appointments (including dental) and have dentists in facilities that can provide sedation when necessary.
- To find Medicare Special Needs Plans in an individual's zip code go to Medicare Plan Finder.
DISCOUNTED DENTAL CARE - DENTAL SCHOOLS IN AZ
AZ School of Dentistry & Oral Health - A.T. Still University
5855 East Still Circle Mesa, AZ 85206 Phone: 480-248-8100
Clinic hours M-F 8:30am-4:00pm
Visit their Website
For an adult with special needs, directly contact the Special Care Dept. (Liz) at 480-248-8170 for an appointment. Plans accepted include Medicare SNP's for UHC (APIPA) and Mercy Care. Sedation available if needed.
AZ School of Dentistry and Oral Health - Glendale Location
20325 N. 51st Ave Bldg. B7 Suite 156 Glendale, AZ 85308
Dental clinic hours: M-F 8:30am-5:00pm
Midwestern University Dental Institute - Dental Clinic
19369 N. 59th Ave Glendale, AZ 85308
Phone: 623-537-6000 (for appointments) Clinic hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Visit their Website
A specialized lift is available so patients in a wheelchair can remain in their own chair during treatment.
DISCOUNTED DENTAL CARE-FEDERALLY FUNDED CENTERS (137 in AZ)
Click here for information on the following:
AZ Community Dental Clinic
1150 E. Washington, Phoenix, AZ 85034 Phone: 602-254-3822
Financial requirement - <200% of FPL ($23,340/yr. for 1 person)
Can be up to a 6 month wait for an appointment.
Donated dental services statewide
Must be 65+ of receiving SSDI
For more information, contact DDD Benefits Coordinator Carolyn Guffrey who can be reached in the Family and Community Resources Unit by calling 602-364-0812 or sending questions here. Contacting Carolyn with your experiences seeking dental care for adult DDD members, especially using Medicare Special Needs Plans, would be appreciated.